One Room Challenge: Week Two Progress

So not a whole lot of glamorous progress has been made in my room this week.  I spent a good deal of time removing the nailed down tack strips from the old carpet around the perimeter of the room.  That was a fun task.

This was the latest progress in the room.  Our old dining room table turned art table.  I think this would be a perfect room to use as an art studio because of the natural light but honestly we need a play room more.  I need to spend some time cleaning up the room above the garage and make that my studio.  I've found that too many uses for a room typically means you're not effectively using the space for anything.  My intent for this space is a playroom that won't scare off adults.

I went on several scouting trips to Homegoods and even randomly popped into Ikea twice.  Much to Matthew's dismay, I have already started procuring some fun items for installation day!

________________________________________________________________

And then I got stuck.  I'm still stuck on two major decisions which will affect the entire room.  Flooring and seating.  Keeping it real here friends, the process of designing a room on a budget doesn't always comes quick or easy.

FLOORING

Option 1: wall-to-wall carpet

Pros:

It's soft, looks lovely, and lays down a nice clean base.  I like the way white carpet looks.  I can't compete with the barefoot comfort level of sitting on the a nice padded soft floor.  I can easily add small sized area rugs for an limited expense to change with the season or as I tire of a look.

Cons:

Carpet + installation eats up a significant chunk of my budget.  White will get dirty so quickly.  This is a playroom with a main exit to our deck and backyard so inevitably dirt will be trekked in.  It also covers up our gorgeous slate floor.

Option 2: massive scale sisal rug layered over the unique slate ground

Pros:

Visually this looks fitting for a sunroom.  The slate floor is stunning.  I also like that it's earthy and ties into the outdoors better.  With four walls of glass it feels more at home in our tree house look.  I will still have a large portion of the room covered to encourage sitting and playing on the floor.

Cons:

It's not cozy.  I worry this is more form for a sunroom and not function for a playroom.  It's a large room and I want my kids to be able to utilize every square foot without looking for a soft place to land.

SEATING

Option 1: White Slip-protected Club chairs

As I mentioned earlier, I went to Ikea twice on Sunday.  I hadn't planned to go at all and then a last minute photo-shoot brought me right up 95 and I slipped in on the way there and again on the way home.  I wanted to sit in the Ektrop Jenny Lund Chairs and try them on for size.

Pros:

I love the look in pictures and the price point is right for chairs that are living in a playroom.  They have a slipcover for easy washing and a nice white background perfect for sprucing up with a fun pillow.  They offer the look and size and price point I want.

Cons:

They honestly weren't that comfortable.  I guess I shouldn't have expected so much for a chair that costs less than two hundred dollars.  But I've seen so many amazing images of them and countless owners all over the internets so I assumed I'd love them more than I did.

Option 2: Gray Wicker Chairs

Pros:

I fell in love with the BYHOLMA gray wicker chairs on the Ikea show room floor.  Both times.  In fact, my sole purpose in returning later that day was to see if one or two could be squeezed into my sedan.  They were so much more comfortable than the Jenny Lund Chairs and I really like the size and shape.  The gray wicker is perfection.

Cons:

I'm just not sure this is the look I'm going for in this space.  I think they'll look fantastic in the room but I'm not sure eliminating the upholstered chairs altogether is wise.

________________________________________________________________

Click here if you need to begin at the beginning and as constantly, please test out the opposite fantastic ladies to look what they've been up to this week!

Calling it Home

Chinoiserie Chic

Classic Casual Home

Cottage and Vine

Design Addict Mom

Design Crisis

Design Indulgence

Design Manifest

The English Room

The Green Room Interiors

Henhurst Interiors

Little Black Door

Maddie's Nest

Mix And Chic

My Notting Hill

The Pink Pagoda

Shelter

Simple Details

The Vault Files

Iklan Atas Artikel

Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel1

Iklan Bawah Artikel2