Late-summer rerun: From the land of the shoo-fly

This submit ran in the beginning on October 3rd, 2008. In an effort to reclaim a few part of my life, I'm dipping into my information on weekends at the moment.

I grew up in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; and no, I'm not Amish. I've been away from those gently rolling hills for a long time but Thanksgiving makes me nostalgic. I may not be Amish, but it doesn't take an Amishman to appreciate pretty countryside and an urge to make things by hand.

Arguably, Lancaster County's signature dish is a little some thing called shoo-fly pie. Shoo-fly pie is one of these things that everyone's heard of but in no way encountered first hand. Shoo-fly pie is one of my favorite matters to bake and it can not be the vacations in my house with out it.

The first time I ever made one for a celebration, every person idea it changed into so unusual and cosmopolitan. That is funny on such a lot of levels at one time I can not stand it. Anyhow, here's my recipe for cosmopolitan and special shoo-fly pie.

Pie dough for a 9-inch pie

1 cup of all-purpose flour

2/three cup of firmly packed, dark brown sugar

five tablespoons of unsalted butter (softened)

1 cup light molasses

1 large egg

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup boiling water

Roll out pie dough and develop into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and flute the edges. In a blending bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and softened butter. Mash with a fork until it reaches a constant, crumbly consistency. In a separate bowl, beat collectively the molasses, egg and baking soda with a massive spoon till mixed. Stir within the boiling water and mix very well (this may start to foam). Stir 1/2 the crumb aggregate into the molasses combination and pour into the crust. Sprinkle the final crumb aggregate frivolously over the top. Bake a four hundred ranges, at the center rack, for 10 mins. Reduce the warmth to 350 levels and bake till the pie filling has puffed around the aspects and is organization within the center, approximately 20 to half-hour more. Cool on a rack.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel1

Iklan Bawah Artikel2