House Projects: Master Bedrom

I want to make my home a better place for my family.  I want it to be a clean and relaxing place for my husband to come home to at the end of his work day.  I want it to be a pretty and inviting space for me and my friends to enjoy.  I want it to be a warm and functional space to raise my children.  I want home improvement to be a source of happiness in my marriage and not a point of contention.

My head and pinterest folders are full of beautiful thoughts on how to achieve this but I often get discouraged on just how to start when there is so much that needs to be done.  I worry about how much time and money each project will cost.  I am so aware of how my style has evolved over the last few years that I get nervous about regretting a decision.  So I live with empty walls or frames hung with no picture inside.  Or I get discouraged because I can't check off a room as done.

I'm running on that.

So like each desirable blogger in January, I'm promising to reveal you more of our steps alongside the manner.

__________________________________________________________________

Today I'm focusing on a few updates we've made in our master bedroom.  We want a calm and restful place to sleep (when the babes aren't waking us up all night.  Please tell me this ends at some point).

I'm using this simple and classic room as our inspiration.  The biggest upgrade we've made is getting up off the floor.  We literally slept on a mattress on the floor until just before Christmas.  Please don't think our home is coming together perfectly overnight.  We'd still like to upgrade to a king size bed but things keep coming up so that may be a dream for another year. We immediately added white wooden blinds to the three windows for privacy but have no plans yet for drapes or fabric shades.  There is a bit of a slope to the front our home which throws me off.  We need to replace the ceiling light fixture and purchase bedside chests and lamps.

We're still happily using the Pottery Barn Essentials Bedding in white that my parents gave us for Christmas last year.  I had previously turned my nose at this four-poster bed that belonged to my parents.  But age has clearly made me wiser, and I happily accepted when they re-offered it a few weeks ago.  I just purchased this Schumacher Betwixt pillow cover in a 20x20 in the stone/white colorway from Spark Modern on etsy.  They're one of my favorite places to source well-made pillow covers.  This is my third purchase and their quality is consistently great.  I plan to send my Euro's off to Huger Embroidery to get monogrammed but I'm waiting to see if we end up with two or three first.

*The wall color is a lovely shade of dirty plaster with a wall-paper paste residue glaze on top.  Poor Matthew is our in-house wallpaper remover in an effort to stretch our renovation budget and the projects never seem to end in an older home.  I do love the look of the white walls so I'm investigating white options now.  Any white paint recommendations?

Here is a a closer look at the art above our bed.  It's a simple project I tackled the other day while Tagg was napping.  We received a beautiful save the date card from friends a few months back with a wonderful little watercolor print map of Charleston.  While the date has been saved, it hasn't arrived yet, and I was thinking about how even after it does I'd like to leave it up on my fridge forever because Charleston is such a special place to me and Matthew.  And I noticed that the actual map is a perfect square and I knew I had a little print from my mother-in-law that never got hung in Tagg's nursery.  I've always liked the little nest print but it just never worked anywhere specific.  I decided this little switch would be perfect!

I'm sure you have something similar hanging around your attic.  Too pretty to give away, but not really working with your current needs now.

Take an existing frame.  Cut around the edge of the paper backing until the mat is exposed. Using the edge of your scissors, or a flat-head screw driver, carefully raise up the edges of the staples.  I was only able to do this on three sides.  The fourth was stapled right in and I didn't want to mess with that.  Slip your new picture right over top of the old one.  Most of the pictures I've found are glued down so it's not worth peeling them up and possibly tearing the mat.  Push the staples back down to secure the glass and picture in the frame.  Tape the back closed.  Voila!

Iklan Atas Artikel

Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel1

Iklan Bawah Artikel2