How to update boring windows using electrical tape

I even have a honestly simple challenge to percentage with you these days!

I got super creative and used electrical tape to update our boring windows. This was definitely a trial and error kind of  project since I was basically making it up as I went along.  So today, not only am I going to share how I did it, but also a few mishaps I faced along the way.

Our domestic has massive home windows at the the front of it, and from the outside these home windows just seemed like large black squares. Ideally, I would like to get a few timber blinds or indoors window shutters, but either preference would need to be custom made to match our home windows, and both alternatives might be pretty high priced as properly.

And if you recognise me, or have followed my blog long enough, then you definately already understand that I do not like to spend a lot of money on domestic enhancements, and so I'm constantly wondering outdoor the box to provide you with clean, low cost, solutions for updating our home. That is how I got here up the idea for using electrical tape to create the look of window panes on our windows.

I first washed our windows really good.  Next, I measured out where I wanted my lines to be. Then I began adding the electrical tape to the window.  First I created a cross in the center, then I applied more lines going vertically and horizontally.

It became honestly a bit bit extra difficult then it sounds. It took a number of adjusting to get the lines immediately, however in the end I was really excited with the final results.

Once I compleated the dwelling room window, I repeated the same process on the dining room window.

I was so tickled  with the results. But then this happened. . . .

A couple days after applying the tape, the tape  began to shrink and slide.

Oh No!  So in the areas where this had happened, I removed the tape and started over. This time I was careful to NOT stretch the tape as I applied it. I also used a credit card and scraped the tape to the window which allowed it to stick better. At this time I also added tape to the perimeter of the window which I hadn't done in the first place.

And it labored! This time there has been no more shrinking or sliding.

I honestly favored the appearance. I thought that the black gave the windows an nearly Loft experience to them.

However, I few friends did point out to me that the black failed to truly in shape our residence due to the fact the window panes which can be in our sunroom are white and so it made the black look a chunk out of location. I agreed and determined to switch out the black electrical tape for white electrical tape.

Honestly, I was a little scared to remove the black tape.  I had nightmares that it wouldn't come off, but it did.  The tape peeled off like plastic, and the residue that was left scraped right off with a razor blade and window cleaner.  So no problem there.

 I did a little brand comparison of white electrical tape, and I found that the Duck brand was a lot sturdier and less stretchy compared to the Scotch tape. So If you do try out this project go with the Duck brand. I can't remember where I bought the tape from since I was all over town looking for it, but I do know you can buy it onlineHERE. Each of my large windows took about one roll of tape.

The second time applying the tape I knew what to do differently; First, I was careful Not to stretch or pull the tape too much.Second, I left overflow at the beginning and the end of my lines so there was extra tape in case my lines did happen to shrink at all. And third, I lightly scraped the tape with a credit card to make sure it was on good and that there were no air bubbles.

I'm satisfied to say, I have not had some other problems when you consider that. Here is an up close observe the tape from the outside.

And here's a examine our house once I changed into finished. My large black squares have a chunk extra character then they did earlier than. Agree?

So what do you watched? Is this something you would really like to try out? I'd love to realize if you do.

I still think some interior shutters (like these) would be super cute, but until then, I think my windows look better than they did before.

Like it? Pin It!

Thanks for stopping by,

*Emily

Iklan Atas Artikel

Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel1

Iklan Bawah Artikel2