The Deck Project Begins!

One thing I've learned about myself is that it takes me a while to really figure out how I want a space to function and how I want it to feel.  If I get too easily caught up in how it looks I don't always like the results for very long.  The way a room makes me feel is so much more important to me.  I want a space that breathes and makes me feel calm.  Our new deck project is no exception.

When we bought our house two years ago there was a deck built across the entire back of the house.  The only problem was that it was in need of repair in several places.  A lot of the wood was in bad shape and it wasn't structurally sound.  We priced out re-building it exactly as it was but quickly realized that for the same cost we could do something different if we wanted.  Our lot is sloped so we could keep the elevated deck off the family room and re-route the stairs to the side and create a ground level patio that opens up into the backyard.  Ultimately we decided that two different elevations would look better and function well.  Now we just have to get started!

My husband and my father-in-law did phase one over Easter, repairing and rebuilding the deck off the family room.  It created the perfect spot for our new table from Trex Outdoor Furniture.  I'm so excited to be working with them!  The table is made from a POLYWOOD®  brand recycled plastic lumber that does not absorb moisture so it will not rot, splinter, or crack.  These products require no water proofing, painting or staining and will last forever.  AMAZING!

We're still trying to decide how to proceed with the patio below; cement pavers or crushed rock.  But for now I'm focusing on prettying up the eating space we've now been enjoying for several weeks.  I'm imagining several more planters overflowing with greens and some new cushions on the chairs so help it feel softer.

Right now it's a lot of grey, I know.  The plan is to stain/paint the deck to help seal it as well as add some contrast with the furniture.  At first I was thinking it would be pretty to go white on the rails and a dark grey or black on the floor. But part of me loves the tree house feel with all the gray.  And maybe once I add in lots of potted plants and flowers I'll appreciate the wood fading into the background.

I know I want it to look super comfortable and well-styled with lots of layers and pretty textiles.  There are so many pretty inspiration pictures floating around right now.  I am in love with all the pretty rugs and pillows and layers of towels and bar carts!  But I also know that we live in Virginia and not Southern California and this is an open-air deck and not a covered or screened-in porch.  Our back yard is really shaded (which is awesome for actually using it in the summer) but it retains a lot of moisture (not so awesome).  It's a hotbed for mold and pollen which isn't exactly easy on textiles.  And it takes forever for the snow to melt back here in the winter so it stays frozen a good bit.  I need to be realistic about that.

Of course if I do add in color, it will be soft blues and tans and greens like this image below.  Wish I could add in the pool and palm tree somehow!

I also found and loved the deck pictured above that totally embraces the natural and weathered look but still feels pretty.  I need to keep this in mind as I work on our deck.  I want to spend my time hanging out on the deck and not cleaning or decorating it.  Maybe one day we'll have a screened in porch and then I can make more of the pretty things work!

Also, do any of y'all have white or cream cushions on your outdoor furniture?  Or just lots of outdoor cushions and pillows in genera?  Do you store them when not in use?  Like put them away daily?  I'm so very drawn to that look and haven't figured out how to make it work and stay clean outside.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel1

Iklan Bawah Artikel2